Are you an enthusiastic researcher in topics related to AI systems that collaborate with people instead of replacing them? Then Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam would like to get to know you. Location:
0.8 - 1
Hybrid Intelligence is the discipline within AI research that studies the theory and development of intelligent systems that collaborate with people instead of replacing them. We are looking for a new colleague at the associate professor level to strengthen our research in Hybrid Intelligence. Examples of relevant areas of expertise are conversational AI, formal argumentation, computational social choice theory, multi-agent systems, plan recognition, safe and explainable reinforcement learning, explainable AI, computational game theory, causality, common-sense reasoning and AI in game playing, among others. Do not hesitate to apply if you have another area of expertise beyond this indicative list that is relevant to the study of Hybrid Intelligence. You will be closely aligned with the large 10 year, 20m€ Dutch national research programme on Hybrid Intelligence (https://hybrid-intelligence-center.nl/)
We are looking for a colleague who is a leader in the field, and can contribute to a stream of high quality publications in this area, acquire external research grants, conduct excellent teaching, and act as a bridge builder to other research groups in the Department. The position involves setting up a research line in this area. Hybrid Intelligence is also the distinguishing signature for our BSc and MSc programmes. Your duties
You duties will involve research, education, and management (40%:40%:20%), including the following:
- Setting up and leading a research line in the area of Hybrid Intelligence
- Performing research in this field and be or become visible in the international community
- Teaching courses in the Bachelor and Master Artificial Intelligence and other relevant programs
- Supervision of Bachelor, Master, and PhD students
- Initiating and contributing to research grant proposals and
- Contributing to management tasks
We will base our selection on the following components:
- A PhD degree in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, or another relevant area;
- An international research profile, demonstrated by publications in relevant journals and conferences;
- Academic teaching experience including experience in the supervision of BSc and MSc theses;
- Experience in the supervision of PhD students;
- Experience with attracting research funding.
What are we offering?
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €5,506 (scale 13) and a maximum €6,702 (scale 13), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
We offer a tenure track/career track position at the level of Associate Professor. A career plan to grow from Associate Professor 2 (profile Universitair Hoofddocent 2, salary scale 13) to Associate Professor 1 (profile Universitair Hoofddocent 1, salary scale 14) will be made and formalised in a tailored tenure track/career track agreement (with specific performance indicators).
The initial appointment will be for a period of 18 months (including 2 months probation) , which will be turned into a tenured position after the initial period when the performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment are met.
The starting package will include:
- Two PhD students in the Innovation PhD scheme (i.e., all our PhD-students are co-supervised with another member of the Department or equivalent).
- Depending on seniority of the candidate, one career-track assistant professor position to be hired as part of the novel group.
- Two Innovation PhD students per new permanent staff member.
- The Department will apply for an AiNed Fellowship Grant for this position. This grant aims to attract internationally much sought after AI talent to Dutch academic research organizations by supporting universities in offering an attractive starting package. When granted, this will lead to three additional PhD student and/or PostDoc positions.
The further career growth trajectory may include the possibility to negotiate the assignment of an additional career-track assistant professor.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment;
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- solid pension scheme (ABP);
- contribution to commuting expenses;
- good paid parental leave arrangement;
- the possibility to work partly from home (hybrid working);
- on campus child daycare, sport facilities, family support programs including: dual career workshops, Dutch language class, tax & insurance workshop (some might have additional costs);
- certain tax benefits (30% ruling) might apply to international candidates;
- help and assistance with relocation (international candidates).
About Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 30,000 students. We employ over 5,500 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.Diversity
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to more than 11,000 students.
About the department
The VUA Department of Computer Science has approximately 250 members, including 50 tenured staff members and 90 PhD students. The tenured staff members form the basis for the functioning of the department. A tenured staff member is required to make significant contributions to the research and education programmes, and to spend effort on specific tasks at the department level.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 13/04/2023.
Please include in your application a motivation letter, your CV, a 1 page research statement and a 1 page teaching statement.
“We are looking to optimize diversity and gender-balance among our staff. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, we therefore will give preference to individuals who are complementary.”Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.Vacancy questions
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Dr. Annette ten Teije
Position: Full Professor
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Sara VeldhorstNo agencies
Position: Relocation Advisor